Thursday, December 2, 2010

Winter veggies

Winter is the time for lettuce, chard, spinach, peas, broccoli, beets, carrots and more.  This year I never found decent broccoli plants so I do not have any.  I find broccoli difficult anyway, as it goes moldy when it is too wet out.  Chard and beets need to be up and growing by now I think, at least I have never tried seeding them out this late.  Come first of February they can be planted again.  They both do best from seed sown directly in the ground, and the red stems make them a welcome addition to the garden.  Chard is a new veg to me, and I love it!  I have a new pot of lettuce sprouting.  It took three tries with this head variety, as it evidently wants good chilly weather to grow.  The other pot of lettuce is ready to start eating, and the spinach is almost there.  All these leafy greens can have leaves snipped off and just keep growing.  The peas are looking good.  They also need to be up and growing strongly before frost, or they just sit and mope.

No comments:

Post a Comment