Thursday, May 5, 2011

ABC flowers in my garden

OK, so why did I do this?  It was a crazy stressy week and I had a headache all day and Jerry came home crashed and I just needed to do something fairly brainless that demanded focus.  They are upside down because I thought they would post the other way.  Crazy post for a crazy week.  : )

Z is for zinnia.  The only good thing to say about a zinnia is they bloom like crazy when it is over 100. These tiny orange and white ones are less obnoxious and go nicely with Jerry's favorite cosmos.
 
Y is for yarrow.  The millefoliums tend to make a tuffet which I do not care for but at least the one I have now, 'Walther Funke' is a nice deep red that fades gold instead of cerise. 


X is for ixia.  A South African bulb, ixia makes sweet little spires of flowers, although the foliage is floppy sloppy.


W is for watsonia. A South African bulb type plant, it grows into a two foot high and wide clump with many flower stems.  It dies down in summer. 
 

V is or violets.  The queen of the foggy weather and oh so fragrant.  I love seeing these all winter out the bedroom window.

U is for no flower I know...

T is for thalictrum.  These look a bit like columbine with blue green ferny foliage but get a good five feet high, or at least mine does.  



S is for scarlet runner beans.  A cute vine for summer, the birds and the bees love these!  Plus you can eat the beans if you choose.


R is for rudbeckia.  A real pain of a plant with a glaring school bus yellow color, they nontheless bloom all through the hot season.   


Q is for no flower I grow. 

P is for pelargonium, that cheerful in a pot plant...


O is for orange blossoms. 


N is for nigella. Love the seed pods. 


M is for monarda.  Crazy mopheads standing 3 feet tall. 


L is for lilies. 


K is for nothing I grow...

J is for Johnny Jump Ups, which evidently don't warrant a photo.

I is for impatiens.


H is for helenium, a favorite of mine...


G is for geum, a favorite sweet flower.


F is for freesia, an early blooming sweet scented bulb type plant.


E is for Eupatorium 'Chocolate' one of the few true late blooming perennials.



D is for digitalis commonly called foxglove.  Not a plant for children.


C is for corydalis a sweetly scented, long blooming shade plant.



B is for begonias a garden mainstay.


A is for astilbe.  This one said red... 


2 comments:

  1. Impressive! Why are foxgloves not good for children? Poisonous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foxgloves are the original digitalis. They mess with the heart, and have been used for heart medicine for centuries. I know in older stories children are always making little fairy hats from them, but it is just one I would be concerned about, along with monkshood and castor bean.

    ReplyDelete