Monday, February 1, 2010

February 1 flowers

Blooming this morning in the garden are

alyssum (as always)
a little annual  called Virginian stock  Malcomia maritima
muscari, the little grape hyacinth, so funny I think of them as winter bloomers although they just opened, and the dafodils which are coming in a matter of days as being the heralds of spring
penstemon
hellebore
pansies
wax begonias which overwintered well this year
violets
carnations
rosemary
orchids
cyclamen 
12 kinds of flowers blooming.  I always count kinds; even if I have a half dozen roses blooming at once, they count as one kind.  I work at having flowers all year, as I have said before, and have had as many as 60 at once, although 40 at peak season is more like it, and 20 continually is not unusual.  But the past few years I backed off on the garden and it shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment