Thursday, April 7, 2011

The new shady bed

After moving the oakleaf hydrangea to the back garden, where it is quite happy, and so lovely to see out the bedroom window, I had this space to refill.  So far I moved in the pot with the azalea, and transplanted things from other beds: a clematis from my fallen arbor, two starts from my Japanese painted fern, a white astilbe that needed a home, being a *second* good plant in a bagged bareroot last year, a heuchera, and a clump of geranium 'Biokovo' that I have spotted all along the shady beds.  I purchased one six pack of polemonium and planted five of those in a curvy row through the middle of the bed.  Then I added an impatiens that I likewise plant throughout the shady areas during the warm season.  The polemonium will have a lavender type bloom; I did not have much luck the first time I tried these, but $2 was worth the try for a new shady perennial.  The bed also has the corydalis a the front of the picture, another type of clematis on the trellis, some Solomon Seal, creeping Charlie, and the ground cover sweet woodruff. I need to add more, in particular something taller against the wall, but for this is a good beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment