Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bare root!

I went to Lowes yesterday and got a bit wound up looking at bare root stock!  Imagine getting shaky over bits of sticks!  What is it about bare root that affects me like that?  I think it must have something to do with the treasure aspect.  A bit of root hiding in brown wood shavings in a dark plastic baggy contains so much potential for future tasty treats or gorgeous flowers.  How fun! 

So what can one buy bare root?  

Food crops such as
Fruit trees
Berry and grape vines
Strawberries
Potatoes
Onions
Asparagus
Rhubarb

Perennials such as
Clematis
Peonies
Lilies
Iris
Dahlia

Flowering shrubs such as
Roses
Forsythia
Hydrangea
Viburnum
Lilacs

And why would one buy bare root in the first place?   For one because it is exciting, but also because plants can get in earlier and get a good root system going before summer, there are often bare roots of hard to find plants, and they are much cheaper.  I am debating the bare root peegee hydrangea I saw that by summer will be a nice gallon plant over the four inch pot named variety I know I can get for three times the cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment